Monday, January 21, 2013

A Week in Thailand #1

I flew into Bangkok feeling a bit under the weather. I don't know if it was something I picked up from China or if it was just from over-doing it during my summer travels. After getting through customs and standing on my feet waiting for at least an hour for a taxi it took all I had to tell the driver where my hotel was before I passed out in the back seat. By the time I got to the hotel I had a terrible fever and could barely lift my green backpack which contained all the material possessions I had used for the past several months. The hotel bellman promptly took my luggage to the room I had reserved just an hour before arriving. I was originally supposed to stay in a hostel, as was my daily routine, but because I was feeling so poor I decided it would be smart to pay hotel prices and get some rest without interruption. My room was quite inviting. There was a king size bed, a desk that I could put my laptop on and a large TV that required you to pay money to watch any channel that had English. The first thing I did when I got into the room was get undressed for a shower. I felt that a hot shower would help curb the chills I was having despite being in a tropical climate in Southeast Asia right in the middle of summer. I was wrong and also very surprised to find out that four star hotels in Thailand do not have hot water as advertised.  That night, with the aide of plenty of pain mediation I got over ten hours of sleep. This was quite an achievement considering I had averaged about four to five hours for the past several weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment