Monday, January 14, 2013

Goodbye Facebook


I recently decided to delete my Facebook account. This seemingly erratic decision was actually based on several deliberate thought processes. First of all, I felt that it was time to turn a page in my life. I am now in my mid twenties and I do not feel the need to engage in activities that high school girls are famously obsessed with. I do not wish to be the subject of Facebook stalking, nor do I intend on looking for dates by scrolling through my friends list.  Cyber stalking just doesn’t have the same appeal to me that it does to most hormone crazy adolescents.  A second reason for deleting several years of status updates, friend requests, pictures, and other random stuff I wish was never associated with my name in the first place is the fact that I like to be different. It seems like everyone and their grandmother has an iPhone. It was when I realized this that I decided to buy the new Windows Phone. The fact that both my parents, many of the members of my old church, almost all of my high school friends, and pretty much everyone I see on a day-to-day basis have Facebook accounts may have caused me to take a second look at what my profile actually portrays about me. I decided that I didn’t necessarily like the pressure of maintaining an online identity. The time had come to do exactly the opposite of what everyone else was doing. I deleted it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment