Sunday, February 17, 2013

Trading! (Money, Money, Money)


Last semester I participated in a stock trading simulation tournament with my finance core classmates.  The game was a fun opportunity to put into practice many of the principles that we learn about day to day in the finance program. I ended up doing pretty well and posted 20% returns on the four-month period. I realize that those are above normal returns, and some may call in luck. During the same period the S&P 500 remained flat. I am a believer that the in the short term stock prices are somewhat random and disconnected from actual economic value added by the companies.  But I also subscribe to the value-investing thesis that future cash flows are worth something today and that the market does not valuing some firms appropriately.
In order to build a portfolio, I stuck to fundamental analysis and I probably had a bit of an advantage over some of the other students because I have been working at a mutual fund shop on a part time basis for the past two years or so. I am responsible for the financial analysis of various small cap companies owned in the value fund managed by my boss. So, before this game even started, I had a pretty good idea of which stocks would have been good plays in a game such as this.  I picked deep value stocks to build my portfolio because I knew that in order to win a game such as this, you would have to find stocks that were a little more volatile. For that reason I picked smaller companies that were severely undervalued for whatever reason (obviously the market didn’t think they were undervalued, but according to my fundamental analysis, I came to the conclusion that future cash flows demanded a higher valuation).
My best stock pick was Research in Motion, which I held for the whole period. It was up almost 80% over the four months. My basic thesis was that even though the market hated the stock, it was trading at about 60% of its liquidation valuation. On top of that, if the company could manage to make a comeback then future cash flows would demand a valuation of at least 3-4 times what it was trading at. The market was rooting against it, so I picked it up (perhaps on a speculative basis, but it certainly paid off). The rest of my stock picks had similar theses, but still haven’t realized the same amount of price appreciation. I picked up a few of my positions on price contingent orders. I used buy limit orders to purchase American International Group. I shorted LinkedIn also due to its fundamental analysis, but I realize this is risky business because the market might have crazy ideas about a stock for quite some time. Normally I wouldn’t short a stock unless I could also match it with some put options to minimize my downside risk. I didn’t make any money shorting this stock and I was probably at a net loss after accounting for the costs associated with shorting a stock.
I also put a slight amount of money into a Vangaurd REIT Index ETF on the idea that the housing market was on a recovery. Not much happened with this position. I don’t really like ETF’s because of their higher correlation with the market as a whole. In my opinion, diversification is a double-edged sword. It can obviously help protect your portfolio against idiosyncratic risks, but it can also take makes market returns the best-case scenario. I am willing to take on more firm specific risk in the hope that I can find long-term returns that beat the market. The academics tend to refute this idea and might consider it elementary, but to that I respond, nobody ever got rich by settling for market returns. Another one of my strategies for the game was to max out my marginal account. I wanted to be as levered as possible in order to amplify my returns. I wanted to be in first place or last place – and I ended up being in both at different times. Luckily I ended up on top to finish the game off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment